How to Get Rid of Cigarette Smoke Smell
The most sensitive of all our senses is the sense of smell. We can detect more than 1 trillion different smells. Obviously, the smell of smoke is caused by a fire. It can be difficult to get rid of, especially if the smoker has lived in the room for a long time. But, we know how to help. Try these simple methods to mask or neutralize odors.
Vinegar to Remove Smoke Odor
This is the simplest way because white vinegar absorbs odors effectively. You can also use apple cider vinegar. Both of them are chemical-free and environmentally friendly. What you should do? There are a few different ways to use vinegar to neutralize and remove bad odors like cigarette smoke:
- Just leave some bowls of vinegar around the house or in the car to neutralize the odor of smoke. Your environment should smell better by the end of the day.
- Boil some vinegar and diffuse it through the house. You can also use it to steam your clothes. Just place smelly clothes above the heated vinegar.
- Mix two cups of vinegar with warm water and scrub down smelly surfaces, including walls, ceilings, floors, counters, and furniture.
- Add half a cup of vinegar to your laundry instead of your usual detergent. Not only will this remove bad odors, but it will also leave your clothes brighter and cleaner!
Smoke Eliminating Candle
This is a good and easy way to remove smoke smells and odors after baking and cooking. Lit candles are a quick remedy to help absorb cigarette smoke. The best candles for this purpose are made from organic soy and burn slowly and safely. They are made without harmful chemicals and burn cleanly so there is none of the soot left behind by the more popular paraffin candles.
Smoke removal machine
Almost everyone has heard about this type of device. The idea is simply to filter the air and remove the smoke, nicotine, and tar. There are two variants of such devices:
- Ozone Machines These devices emit ozone molecules that attach themselves to the surfaces in the room. Think of them as little bubbles; when they “pop,” they dissipate the offensive odors with them. However, ozone is not safe for humans or pets. Therefore, you have to use it in empty rooms. When you return after the machine completes its cycle, you’ll likely get a breath of super-oxygenated air. Open up the windows as soon as possible.
- Air Purifier Although they’re less economical than the other methods, air purifiers will remove all traces of smoke smell and other odors from the air. People who buy an air purifier for their home or office will get rid of pet dander, allergens, smoke, and just improve their air quality.
Essential Oils to Eliminate Smoke Odor
The best an eco-friendly way to remove smoke odor from clothes, carpet, and the air. The most popular include sage, eucalyptus, patchouli, orange, lavender, lemon, mint, and tea tree. Here are some ways to use essential oils:
- Clothes Option 1. Place the smoky clothes in the washer and start the wash cycle. Once the laundry tub has filled up with water, add two drops of citrus essential oil to a cap full of laundry detergent. Pour into the wash water. Option 2. Apply a few drops of citrus oil to an old towel (the one you don’t mind getting stained) to eliminate smells in the dryer if you are unable to wash your clothes. Place the towel with the oil in the dryer with the smoky clothes. Dry on low to medium heat.
- Carpet Fill a jar with two cups of baking soda. Add two to three drops of citrus essential oil. Replace the cap, and shake well to mix. Sprinkle the mixture on the smoky carpet, and let sit for several hours. Vacuum well to remove all of the baking soda.
- Air Pour four cups water into a decorative bowl, pitcher, or vase. Add 20 drops of citrus essential oil. Place the decorative bowl, pitcher, or vase in a room where the smoke smell is strong.
Activated Charcoal to Remove Smoke Odor
Charcoal is an effective, non-toxic cleanser that is often used to filter air. It has an amazing ability to absorb contaminants and strong odors. It is an effective remedy for cigarette smoke.
- Place the charcoal into several small bowls or containers.
- Leave the containers around your room or inside your car for a couple of days.
- If the smell isn’t gone, dump the old charcoal and replace with a new batch.
Using many smaller containers is better than one large container because it increases the surface area used to absorb lingering odors. You can also replace the charcoal as needed without wasting a bunch of unused charcoal.
Plants That Remove Cigarette Smoke
NASA discovered that some house plants not only absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen, but they also eliminate significant amounts of VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and other chemicals from the air. Here are the top 5 plants for removing cigarette smell.
It is a very popular house plant that can also be used outdoors in areas without direct sunlight. Snake plants are a very effective indoor air cleaner.
This plant helps clean the air of almost all chemicals. In addition, it helps get rid of acetone, a chemical released by electronics and certain cleaners.
These plants prefer to clean the air from a cool location with high humidity and indirect light.
This plant filters formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene, xylene, and toluene.
Aloe is extremely good at filtering out formaldehyde. It loves the sun so it is the perfect plant to keep near a kitchen window. Break off a leaf to heal accidental burns and wounds as well–it’s dual purpose!
Air Filters to Remove Cigarette Smoke
Eliminate cigarette smoke odor, gases, and particles from tobacco in your home with a good air purifier. Before choosing the best air purifier for smoke, it’s important for you to first understand a few things about this technology. 99% of air purifiers are designed to get rid of particles that make up allergens, dust, and pet dander. A True HEPA filtering system removes 99.97% of particles .3 microns and larger. This includes visible smoke. Look for an Activated Carbon Filter, which absorbs the smoke odor. Only an air purifier that can absorb the gaseous pollutants from smoke will work for your situation.
How to Get Rid of Cigarette Smell
We have presented many options to help everyone find the best remedies that will help. Luckily, there are a lot of ways to get rid of smoke smells. Also, you can burn incense or buy an odor eliminating spray. There are many sprays that make your room smell nice. These sprays can be effective, as long as they are the right type. Take any ashtrays and smoking materials out of the room and open the windows regularly to make this situation easier to resolve. But, the best way to resolve this issue is to just give up smoking. Be healthy 🙂